Friday, October 2, 2009

Jesus Christ: Prophet, Priest ,and King--Psalm 22

"My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?" Psalm 22:1 Other than Isaiah 53, there is not a text in the Old Testament that outlines the cross like this Psalm. It is also the Psalm that reveals the prophetic/sacrificial ministry of Christ that ultimately leads to His death on the old rugged cross. He says, "I am a worm." That is the word red for the color in the tabernacle (see "colors" above) We hear that he will be scorned and mocked. He would be compassed with wicked "believers" and unbelievers at His death. He would have His joints pulled out of place. He would be pierced. They would part His garments among them. What wonderful grace and mercy is found here for us in the vicarious, atoning death of Jesus, God's precious lamb. Thank God for the truth found in this Psalm of the Prophet--Psalm 22.

No comments:

Post a Comment