Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Wings

I have been chewed up by too many for not being faithful to my blog for the last few months.  I repent!  I will get back to work on it as much as possible.  


"And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."  Psalm 55:6


Anyone who spends any time with this Psalm clearly understands that David is under great stress.  Though we are unsure when David wrote this individual lament (many feel that it was written in response to the situation with Absalom and the council of Ahithophel) we are sure that he knew where his answer was.  It was in God Almighty. 
The stress of this trial was so great that David wanted to fly away from it as if he had wings like a dove.  However, running is never the solution.


During the 1980s, I was sharing this verse at a pre-trial confinement facility.  The thrust of the message was that we can stand firm in Christ as fleeing will only compound the problem.  The next morning I received a call from the warden who asked what I preached.  Laughing, he said the inmates in my group should have seriously listened.  They had attempted an escape that night and had been caught rapidly.  Each one eventually had time added to their sentences for the escape.  True story!!!  


It is the same with any trial you face.  Don't run from the problem.  It only adds to the discomfort.   However, there is a safe hiding place.  Run to Jesus!  What began for David as troubles so great that he could not stand ended as a victory of faith in an Omnipotent Savior!  "Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved."  Psalm 55:22

2 comments:

  1. John,

    Since I have been saved, it is the one principal that the Lord has drummed into my head, is to stand and face whatever the devil throws at me( and there has been plenty).

    In the trials that I face I always try to remember the scripture that tells us to STAND THEREFORE.

    And instead of going by my own instincts to run and hide, I turn and face the enemy, in the strength of the Lord, and I STAND THEREFORE.

    Running gets me nowhere, but back where the problem began.
    I have learned to face it and with His strength, get rid of it.

    Gerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a true statement Gerie! He is always there to help us to stand. We just to look for Him in prayer and apply His power to make us stand. I like the statement, "I have learned to face it and with His strength, get rid of it." It is a learning process in our relationship because I have, unfortunately, tried to run only to realize it is futile. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete