Saturday, January 7, 2012

An Unseasonably Warm Winter's Day Wander

Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?
Psalm 56:8

Over that last few days, my thoughts have been continually on the coming of Christ.  There has also been great concern and a deep feeling of sadness woven with anxiety as I consider the calamity that will precede His arrival.  Today was no different.  I found myself wandering in thought quite often and even shedding tears for those who are unsuspecting, those who are victims of this world's evil , and even those caught up in that evil.  Christ is coming and hearts need to be prepared, yet so few seem to catch the warning signs.  Are you awake to the peril before us?  Jesus said that most would not suspect the nearness of the Day of the Lord to their own demise!  Are you watching and wide awake?

While travelling today I saw two different weddings in progress.  One was even outside in a town square gazebo which you would not expect to see on a January day.  Not too much further was a group of good ole' boys pitching horseshoes and having a few drinks outside a local bar. The lady folk were nearby playing a game of corn-hole. There were bar-be-cues, and picnics, and parties.  Several were standing at the bed of a truck outside of one town, telling stories, having some laughs, and drinking a few cold ones as well.  Some were talking with friends on porches--also with a few cold ones--relating the local gossip I suspect. I could not help but wonder if any were looking past the present to eternity?  Did any of them know Jesus and understand the love He has for them or the tears He shed over them? A few tears flowed and scripture came to mind.  "They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all."  Luke 17:27


With all of the adults outside, I expected to see a few children out playing.  I went past one, then two, then three playgrounds but they were empty.  The equipment there was not cheap. On the contrary, it was the best and safest that each town could afford.  There were no children on bicycles nor running in the streets playing tag.  I saw just two very young boys playing in a carport under the watchful eye of their mother sitting in a rocking chair nearby in the entire 1 hour and 15 minute drive.  It's just too dangerous for children to be too far from home or unsupervised nowadays.  They could be abducted in an instant.  It's equally as  dangerous to be an unborn child as well.  I don't remember seeing one pregnant mother.  I began thinking back a few days.  It has been a while since I have seen an expecting mother anywhere. The womb has become a most dangerous place also!  I then reminisced of my childhood when these sites were common--seeing playing children and mothers gleaming with anticipation.  A few more tears flowed and prayers were uttered.  I cried for America and what I don't see in her streets anymore.  "Thus saith the LORD; A voice was heard in Ramah, lamentation, and bitter weeping; Rahel weeping for her children refused to be comforted for her children, because they were not."  Jeremiah 31:15


There were a few teens with some young adults outside standing in a driveway.  Their glares caught my attention as they looked at me in their neighborhood with a hint of suspicion.  What were they up to?  There was a basketball hoop and a soccer ball nearby, but they were not playing.  As I glanced at them, I recognized a few of them.  Some are facing assault charges, some are facing statutory rape charges, and some are facing theft charges.  While they eyed me suspiciously, a couple also wore a look of malice on their faces.  I'll admit, again, I was wondering what they were up to?  Not too much further I saw a young girl hand rolled up money to another teen.  The other reached into her pocket, pulled something out, and handed it to the first girl.  Suddenly, their eyes were on me driving by with a look mixed with fear and suspicion.  I gave a poor performance at acting like I had not seen their transaction. I wondered if they knew Christ and understood His love for them?  Did they know that Jesus died for their crimes against God?   I wondered what misery a Christ-less life held for them ,and wondered how many of the youth of that area would reach old age?  There was a deep feeling of compassion for those so blinded by sin.  Again, tears flowed, prayers were offered, and scripture came to mind--one of my favorites.  One that spoke to me when I was equally as lost and involved in sin and mischief.  "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him."  2 Corinthians 5:21


Heading out through the country, I took note of the dark clouds on the horizon and the blue sky above and thought of some advice I'd given recently.  A friend was grieving the suicide of another and dealing with feelings of guilt.  One of her questions dealt with the pain and the tears she shed, so I shared the text verse above a bit paraphrased.  I assured she was crying GOD's tears for Him.  He is continually saddened, angered, and concerned with the sin that destroys so many.  He wants nothing more than for the unsuspecting to pay attention, for the victims to be healed, and the perpetrators of vile acts to be redeemed from a life going nowhere.  Jesus weeps for a lost world!  When we weep too, we shed His tears.  Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?"


Just as I was weeping, a rainbow appeared in the midst of the dark clouds.  I stopped the crying and began to worship.  OK! OK!  Honestly, I cried and worshiped.  I thought of the unsuspecting and looked forward to the day when the knowledge of the LORD will fill the earth.  I thought of the children and looked forward to the day that a child will play without fear again.  I rejoiced for the time when the womb will not be dangerous during the millennial reign of Jesus.  I rejoiced that sin and evil have been dealt death's blow at the cross and that the cross will rid the world of all sin in God's time. The story has a good ending my friends!  Will you be there to enjoy it?  Hurry, don't delay in asking Jesus to let you be there through the pardon of your sin at Calvary--accept His love and the tears He's shed for you!  Hurry, Jesus Christ truly is Soon2Come!



The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them. And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox. And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice' den. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.
Isaiah 11:6-9



Today's News

3 comments:

  1. WOW....PASTOR THIS IS PUT LOVELY AND ANOINTED! I LOVED THIS....MY HEART IS FILLED WITH SADNESS AND LOVE AT THE SAME TIME. SAD AND HURT FOR THE LOST, WHOSE TIME IS RUNNING OUT QUICKLY. AND, YET I FEEL THE LOVE , GRACE AND MERCY OF GOD, THANKING HIM FOR REACHING DOWN FURTHER THAN I COULD REACH UP!! GRABBING A HOLD OF ME PULLING ME OUT OF THAT AWFUL STATE OF SIN I WAS IN!! JEANNIE DAVID

    ReplyDelete
  2. John I can see that you have a heavy heart.....so do I..I have at least one person that thinks I am a complete "nut" job...I worry for her....Folks just don't see the calamity t5hat could befall them....Cindy

    ReplyDelete